Sunday, August 30, 2009

Logo in Roman Capitals

I finished the big logo design in Roman capital lettering on Friday. Scanned and sent it to the graphic designer immediately.

Today, the graphics designer already sent a couple of iterations back for comments from both me and the publisher (my client, who also happens to be my husband).

The Process -- in case you're curious
1. Traced and then drew Romans for a couple of months. Hadn't studying them in depth before so I got some excellent models including ones adapted from the carved Trajan column in Rome.
2. Did lots of thumbnails of possible designs as they came to me. Showed to client at various points.
3. Did several final sketches after I felt like I could really play around with Romans (proportions, spacing, serifs, curves, etc.). Got more direction from client.
4. Got the publisher's approval over the initial draft.
5. I took that design to my calligraphy instructor who made some good weight and spacing suggestions.
6. Redid my design and that's what I sent to the graphic designer, who has more experience with Adobe and graphics than I do. Also, always good to get more professional eyes on a project this big. When finished, the logo will be seen by thousands around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment