Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Draft for Angela Rockett -- future altar piece

When fellow artist Angela Rockett asked if I could collaborate on an upcoming altar piece, I knew I wanted to push everything else aside to do it.

Firstly, I only had to spend some hours to get a good enough draft, not weeks to get the final result.
Second, I get to be surprised at the end with the final result, seeing what some with Angela's artistic talent will do with my piece makes me very curious to see it. Just like a present!

Here's the draft, which displays some of my working habits, such as using a Westwind calligraphy practice pad for layout and spacing. Also, just trying to play around with tweaks to the same words even in the working draft I sent Angela. Earlier, I had sent her a very rough draft to see how she liked various lettering choices, so this current draft shows a very narrow variation.

The hand I used is a modern variation of Gothic called Fraktur, used more in Germany than in the States. This particular Fraktur is from Friedrich Neugebauer's The Mystic Art of Written Forms. It's a hand I taught myself for another project I did for Angela, the graphics for the ER Gallery show, Out of Darkness, Into Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment