Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Carolingian Practice 2 low res

After a week of practicing, you can seem my ability to write in Carolingian has improved quite a bit. Some good things here, like "wonderment" at the bottom right.

There's still some experimentation, but that's true even when I know a hand well

I like trying out different ways to write letters to see what works best for a particular project. But I always try to maintain good lettering practices like consistency, etc, or at least knowing why I am breaking the "rule" for a particular point.

General Points
** Dating your work like I have allows you to see how much you've progressed. However, I don't keep many of these pieces due to sheer volume. If you did keep them, you could cut them up and use them for collage elements or bookbinding.

** If you're just learning a hand and are writing with letter families (see post from 1/26/09), then exercise your brain trying to come up with words with just those letters.

Other brain expanding options: words that begin with particular letters, words with many different letters. Or just use pangrams like, "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."

Copyright 2009 Shelly Baur.

No comments:

Post a Comment